CRS is accepting applications through the Graduate Recruit Program for a Reference and Digital Services Librarian, GS-9 until April 17, 2019.
Appointment type:Temporary – Position will be filled under the Congressional Research Service Graduate Recruit Program. Full-time, temporary with the expectation of subsequent conversion to permanent.
DUTIES FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Performs reference and instructional services, and will maintain and develop web-based information tools and services.
- Contributes to the development or enhancement of information tools to support CRS’s research activities. Identifies project-related issues or problems, helps gather requirements for tools and systems to address these needs, and liaises with information technology specialists regarding incorporation of these requirements into new or enhanced information systems.
- Participates in digital content and data projects. Assists with ongoing assessment of CRS’s information services through data gathering and analysis, and exploratory research on standard storage and access options and preservation strategies. Participates in research and evaluation, and in the planning, design, development, testing, and implementation of new digital services.
- Keeps abreast of developments affecting knowledge management, metadata, and information retrieval.
This candidate should have solid computer skills, including skills needed to work with databases, spreadsheets, and web applications in a network environment. The ideal candidate will be enrolled in or graduating from a Library Science (MLS) or equivalent degree program or have experience; knowledge of current and emerging practices of librarianship or other fields and disciplines related to the organization of information; and an understanding of the principles of information management, metadata, and information retrieval.
Conditions of Employment
Graduates students and Library of Congress employees who meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
1. U.S. Citizenship
2. Current enrollment in or anticipated graduation from an appropriate, accredited advanced degree program. (Library employees may already possess a graduate degree).
3. General education requirements for a GS-9 appointment (see table below).
GS-9 Grade Level: Two years of progressively higher level appropriate graduate education leading to a Master’s degree, OR
Master’s or equivalent graduate degree, OR
One year of specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level in the federal service or at a comparable level of difficulty outside the federal service.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR LIBRARIAN POSITIONS
GS-09 Grade Level:
Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education in library or information science, OR master’s degree in library or information science or equivalent graduate degree related to the position, OR enrollment in a master of library or information science degree program or equivalent graduate degree program with one year of relevant work experience equivalent to the GS-07 level.
For more information regarding this job posting, please visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/527983700