The Centro Library and Archives is responsible for comprehensively collecting, organizing, maintaining and making available primary and secondary sources on the Puerto Rican experience. The Library and Archives shares and supports Centro’s overall mission. The Library collects in all areas of Puerto Rican Studies and in all formats. It is particularly strong in the area of migration and the diasporic experience. The Archives’ strengths are principally in the area of social history but holds important collections that highlight culture and the arts.
The Chief Librarian and Archivist reports to the Center Director. In addition to the CUNY Title Higher Education Officer overview, below, the Chief Librarian and Archivist for the Centro Library and Archives has the responsibilities of but not limited to:
1. Overall Management of the Centro Library and Archives
• Overseeing delivery of services by full and part time staff, student assistants and consultants
• Hiring, supervising and encouraging professional staff development
• Preparing budget requests, writing grants and identifying external resources to complement the Centro Library and Archives’ operational budget
• Promoting library resource development (identifying resources, purchasing and requesting donations of books and reference materials)
• Developing Archives collections (identifying collections, pursuing donations and/or acquisition of collections), negotiating archival collections donations and pursuing relations with potential donors.
• Assessing staff, services, facilities, collection conditions, use of digital technologies and programs for the delivery of library and archives information services on short and long term basis
• Fundraising, lobbying potential donors and serving as the fiscal manager of grants and special allocations assigned to the Library and Archives
• Outreaching to patrons and developing public relations activities (e.g. Gallery events, lectures and panels) of the Library and Archives
• Leading the Centro Library and Archives in fostering relationships with Hunter Library, College administration and CUNY-wide programs
• Speaking on behalf of the Centro Library and Archives in public forums and presentations
• Providing leadership and advice to state and national leaders in the field of Puerto Rican and related area studies and library and archives research centers
• Working with diverse population composed of students, academics, community and donors, and assure accessibility of resources and services to all
2. In addition, s/he is a member of the Centro Coordinating Committee (staff advisory group to the Centro Director)
The preferred candidate will have:
• Advanced degree MLS and/or MA in library sciences, or Ph.D in history, education or related fields from accredited universities, preferred;
• Knowledge of Library and/or Archives, archival research and historical preservation and interest in these areas.
• S/he must demonstrate a profound interdisciplinary understanding of the Puerto Rican experience; a broad knowledge of U.S. based Puerto Rican communities and Puerto Rican Studies.
• Eight years or more of relevant experience.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
• Conversant with library/archives technology preferred.
• Fundraising and grant management experience preferred.
• Fully bilingual in Spanish and English.
– Designs, implements and monitors curriculum for programs sponsored by the Center
– Oversees the design and delivery of courses and workshops; assesses learning outcomes
– Develops and manages Center’s budget and operations
– Implements ongoing faculty and/or student development activities
– Plans, develops, and initiates strategies for generating resources and/or revenues
– May seek and acquire grant funding to further advance Center initiatives
– Manages professional and clerical staff
– Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Center Director
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.