The Congressional Research Service (CRS), Knowledge Services Group (KSG) seeks a library technician (information and technical services) to process and maintain research materials used by CRS staff. The selectee also responds to requests for information and documents by internal and external clients.
CRS works exclusively for the United States Congress, providing policy and legal analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate, regardless of party affiliation. As a legislative branch agency within the Library of Congress, CRS has been a valued and respected resource on Capitol Hill for more than a century.
CRS is well known for analysis that is authoritative, confidential, objective, and nonpartisan. Its highest priority is to ensure that Congress has immediate access to the nation’s best thinking on public policy issues of interest to its Members and Committees.
The Library technician will perform the following duties:
- Identifies documents and other materials relevant to the CRS mission, and assists in making the materials accessible to staff. This includes downloading digital documents or digitizing printed materials and uploading files to internal repositories.
- Checks in serial publications, receives and processes newly received materials, and updates holdings information in the library catalog.
- Searches library catalogs and databases to verify bibliographic information. Creates metadata for digital documents or collections, applying established taxonomies as appropriate.
- Maintains print collections, including sorting, shelving, and weeding materials; shifting collections; assisting with collection inventories to identify gaps and duplicates. Assist in developing and maintaining digital collections.
- Assists in the staffing of the CRS research facilities and/or congressional reading rooms.
- Provides ready reference and document delivery services: identifies, retrieves, and delivers documents from a range of sources and in diverse media, contacting libraries and other cultural institutions, government agencies, publishers, and authors as needed.
- Delivers a variety of documents and data, making copies of CRS seminars and workshop materials in response to client requests.
- Conducts searches on a variety of electronic resources to locate appropriate documents or to find factual information such as names and contact information for congressional liaisons or addresses of organizations.
Conditions of Employment
No additional requirements to those listed above.
Applicants must have had progressively responsible experience and training sufficient in scope and quality to furnish them with an acceptable level of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision.
Ability to perform technical services.**
Ability to provide information services.**
Ability to utilize information technology and online systems.**
Ability to maintain library collections.
Ability to interact collaboratively with others.
Ability to communicate effectively other than in writing.
Para obtener más información y para solicitar, puede visitar el siguiente enlace: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/549617500