Encourage innovation in the field of library and information science in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the Americas, exercising leadership in a global and technological world.
Foster an innovative and collaborative environment of excellence and commitment to teaching, learning, research, creative work, and service to transform the management of information and its access in society.
Prepare professional and leaders in the field with an ethical, multidisciplinary, multicultural, and global perspective.
Contribute to the development of policies and services that promote equitable access to information for the purpose of building a knowledge society.
Goals and Objectives
- Goal 1. Facilitate the acquisition of knowledge, skills and values of the Library Science and Information Science field.
- Objective 1: Demonstrate a high level of knowledge and skills in the management of information and documented knowledge regardless of its format.
Objective 2: Design and implement procedures to select, acquire and organize information resources following the field´s standards.
Objective 3: Demonstrate competencies in the analysis and evaluation of information resources related to its reliability as stated by our field’s norms.
Objective 4: Design and implement policies and procedures to store, preserve, describe and access information resources effectively.
Objective 5: Demonstrate understanding of the knowledge creation process, its dissemination and communication.
Objective 6: Apply technological competencies and innovative strategies for knowledge and information management.
Objective 7: Perform as information professionals with an understanding of the philosophy, the theoretical and ethics principles of the field of library and information science.
Objective 8: Demonstrate the contributions and relevance of the LIS field in a society in which information technologies are ever present.
Objective 9: Demonstrate effective communication skills and educational strategies as she strives to provide effective information competencies development in various contexts.
Objective 10: Apply theories, professional ethics and the integration of information technologies as well as reflect about the international trends in the LIS profession.
Objective 11: Become involved in a broad spectrum of experiences in settings oriented to satisfy information and knowledge needs of various populations.
- Goal 2. Promote the development of students as individuals capable of exerting leadership in an interdisciplinary, multicultural, and global context.
- Objective 12: Apply knowledge in the field to provide services and resources to disadvantaged groups in and increasingly diverse society.
Objective 13: Demonstrate comprehension of the knowledge and skills required to cross discipline boundaries to provide services to diverse constituencies.
Objective 14: Collaborate with scholars in academic units outside the field of information science to strengthen
the interdisciplinary focus of the LIS field and validate its contribution to other fields.
Objective 15: Establish alliances with professional associations, information units, government agencies and private sector to address information needs and to promote public policies
that support the free knowledge and information flow in society.
- Goal 3. Provide opportunities for the development of new knowledge and innovation in the field through effective research efforts.
- Objective 16: Conduct research in the field according to the level of expertise developed.
Objective 17: Demonstrate comprehension of the research process as it contributes to increase knowledge in the field.
Objective 18: Integrate with faculty as they identify, strengthen research avenues, knowledge dissemination
and the development of new information resource, products and services as contributions to the LIS field and society.
Objective 19: Sponsor and develop research projects that increase knowledge of the LIS field with particular emphases in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the Americas.
- Goal 4. Contribute to the economic, social, cultural and educational development of Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the Americas through information services and advising.
- Objective 20: Offer a continuing education experiences as well as certificate programs to satisfy needs of
the public and private sector. Offer consulting services in the LIS field in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean and the Americas.
Objective 21: Exert leadership in the development of information policies for the State Government as it builds an
information society based in equitable access to information through an effective and ethical information management system.
Objective 22: Design and offer online courses and programs with the purpose of expanding access and opportunities to those populations who cannot take advantage of the program on campus.
- Goal 5. Maintain a creative and collaborative climate that will foster excellence in the academic and administrative endeavors.
- Objective 23: Integrate students’ participation in all aspects of the program including assessment.
Objective 24: Provide an innovative administrative and technological infrastructure its faculty, staff, and students.
Objective 25: Assure sufficient financial resources to support the Program’s effective development.
Objective 26: Establish policies and strategies in line with UPR System with the purpose of guaranteeing its contribution to institutional effectiveness including strategic planning and continuous assessment.
Objective 27: Provide appropriate information and technological resources as well as office and physical spaces required to support faculty, staff and students in the fulfillment of their academic and administrative responsibilities.
- Goal 6. Expand the reach and visibility of the Graduate School of Information Sciences and Technologies to significantly influence the field and society.
- Objective 28: Generate additional fiscal resources with the development of new information services and products.
Objective 29: Broaden the physical installations, the number of faculty and staff to better serve more students and the general society.