Deadline for proposal submission to Chair: March 1, 2019
Founded in 1980, OLAC is an organization for catalogers concerned with all types of nonprint materials, including a wide range of digital resources as well as more “traditional” formats: video and sound recordings, websites, maps, multimedia, graphic materials, and realia. Through conferences, workshops, publications, and the electronic discussion list, catalogers exchange information and enjoy expert and practical advice on cataloging audiovisual resources. OLAC became an ALA affiliate in 2008.
This grant is awarded annually by the OLAC Executive Board to encourage research in the field of audiovisual cataloging. Proposals will be judged by a committee appointed by the Board on the basis of practicability and perceived value to the audiovisual cataloging community. The OLAC Research Grant Committee is usually composed of the OLAC vice president (Chair of the Grant Committee), last year’s grant winner, and an OLAC member. Applicants must follow OLAC’s prescribed guidelines for submitting proposals as outlined below.
Amount: up to $2,000
Period of Grant: July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020
Grant recipients are expected to present the OLAC Executive Board with an interim report within one year of the date of receipt of the grant. Recipients are also expected to present their findings at the next OLAC Biennial Meeting following the grant period and may wish to also pursue other presentation and/or publication opportunities. The grant winner may be asked to serve on the selection committee the following year.
- Deadline for proposal submission to Chair: March 1, 2019
- Award recipient notified: May 1, 2019
- Award recipient notifies Chair of acceptance: May 15, 2019
- Award announced during the OLAC Membership meeting at the following ALA Annual Conference
- Current personal member of OLAC
GUIDELINES FOR PROPOSALS
The grant application must be submitted by email to the Chair of the OLAC Grant Committee (Thomas Whitaker, email@example.com) no later than March 1, 2019.
The application must include:
- A cover page, title of proposal, name, affiliation, and address of applicant(s), phone numbers, date of submission, and abstract of the project proposal
- Proposal thesis, summary of the research problem, including justification of the project and/or a review of the literature, and a description of proposed research
- Project outline including a month-by-month timeline to show expected progress
- Project budget, materials, staff (identify the amount of monies you are requesting and include this in a 1-page detailed budget of projected costs for the project and where the Grant funds would be applied; plus, a maximum of a 1-page budget narrative giving a brief itemized justification of the major line items involved)
- Curriculum vitae
FORM OF FINAL REPORT AND PRESENTATION
A report and the presentation should include answers to the following questions or include information about:
- Statement of the problem (What is your research idea and why is it important for OLAC to fund the project?)
- Review of the literature
- Thesis (including how it relates to and/or benefits AV cataloging)
- Results (What are the implications of the research findings, how will this impact the AV community? What is the product of your research and do you have plans for publishing these results? If so, identify possible publication outlets.)
Full details on the grant and the application process can be found in the OLAC Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/12IhkfSg8vcEeGO67ZcC8QuXZcuGCMWg9JSXE5bRxpvw/edit#heading=h.ymfzma)